Though a dream for many would-be and current immigrants to the U.S., citizenship through naturalization is often a drawn-out and arduous process. Because so many seek to gain U.S. citizenship, legally obtaining all rights and opportunities afforded to those who were born here, there are many steps and stipulations one must meet prior to obtaining citizenship.
At Zohar Law Firm, we assist foreigners and immigrants along their path to citizenship by working to ensure each step taken complies with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) standards. Learn some of the immigration services we provide at our law office like obtaining a Family-Based Green Card, Special Immigration Juveniles, Waivers Of Ineligibility, and more.
Before even applying for US citizenship, you must meet all eligibility requirements.
These requirements include:
- Lawful permanent resident status (the possession of a green card) for at least five years. Exceptions to this requirement cover those who obtained their green card through asylum, marriage to a U.S. citizen and members of the U.S. military.
- Five years of residing in the U.S. before applying; not spending more than 12 continuous months outside of the country.
- Physical presence with the U.S. for at least two and one-half years of the five years prior to your application.
- At least three months of residence within the same state or district from which you are applying.
- Being at least 18 years of age.
- Having good moral character.
- The ability to speak, read and write fluent English, though long-term residents of an advanced age and persons with certain medical disabilities may be exempt from this requirement.
- The ability to pass a U.S. history and government test. Again, those who suffer from certain medical disabilities may be exempt.
- The willingness to swear loyalty to the United States and the principles of its Constitution (with certain exceptions or modifications in special circumstances).
After proving eligibility, your application for citizenship will allow the USCIS to fully and carefully investigate your background and immigration history. Any discrepancies or violations can not just prevent you from completing the naturalization process, but can strip you of your green card, causing you to be removed from the country.
By acting as your legal advocate, we work to protect your rights as you move through the complicated process of naturalization. There are many steps in the naturalization process, and one trip-up could and you could end up in the deportation line. When you partner with Zohar Law, the top immigration lawyer in New York, you can rest assured that we will help you every step of the way through the naturalization process. Our mission is to help you enjoy the great benefits of being a US citizen, and we will do whatever it takes to see that mission through to the end for you.
At Zohar Law Firm, our ultimate goal is complete when your legal status as a citizen of the United States of America is finalized.