The Immigration and Nationality Act was amended to include the Violence Against Women Act, created provisions for victims of domestic abuse to petition for a green card without the abuser’s knowledge. Applying equally to both men and women, VAWA provisions are permanent and are meant to facilitate safety and independence for the abused.

Those eligible to file for legal status under VAWA visas include:

  • Spouses – If you are an abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident green card holder you may file, without the knowledge of your spouse, for your own permanent residence. You may also file if your child was the victim of abuse at the hands of your permanent resident or citizen spouse. Any unmarried children under the age of 21 can be included in your petition.
  • Parents – You may file for a VAWA green card if you are being abused by your U.S. son or daughter.
  • Child – If you are under the age of 21, unmarried and being abused by your permanent resident or citizen parent, you may file for yourself. If you have children, you may include them on your petition. If you are filing after the age of 21, but before the age of 25, you can still file but you’ll have to prove that it was the abuse that delayed the ability to file.

Due to the nature of this process, you will need an ally by your side. Our immigration lawyers at Zohar Law in New York will work diligently to help you obtain the VAWA green card. We are intimately familiar with the process, the steps to take, and what form of proof you will need. The filing process and eligibility requirements can be quite complicated in regards to these cases, making the need for legal advice and representation imperative to gaining the protection you need. We are here when you need us the most. Don’t wait another day to experience the freedom from abuse that you so rightfully deserve. Reach out to an immigration attorney at Zohar Law Firm for a confidential consultation today. For more information on immigration visas, call (212) 520-2051